West Hamburg, like many communities,had a hotel as one of it’s first businesses. In 1870 the National Hotel was built by John Williams and Solomon Seaman. Williams ran the hotel and Seaman and Sons Established a mercantile business in part of the building. By 1885, the Berks Post Office which was established in 1879 was moved to Seaman’s Store. E.F. Bubbenmoyer operated the store until 1933. He sold groceries and general merchandise.
Before the township building was built in the early 1970’s area residents voted in the store portion of the building. Other people who ran the hotel business were Morris Ebling (Elbing’s Hotel) Lee, Mary, and Dean Adam (West Hamburg Hotel), and Rick Mason. Today the Westy is operated by Bob and Pam Franklin.